Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Gas Monkey Bar N' Grill

The month of September has been a crazy one. Meal of Food Friday got skipped a few times in favor of out of town trips, grad school, the frenzy of a career fair at work, and getting sick. But no more! October is here and so is MoFF!

This week, we tried Gas Monkey Bar N' Grill near downtown Dallas. It's a relatively new spot that offers a wide selection of beers and bar food. They have a huge patio with an outdoor stage and professional sound system.  It also is associated with the Gas Monkey Garage, which is featured on a reality show on Discovery. I had not heard of the restaurant or garage before this week, and I'm not clear on how the two are related. But the restaurant is cool to check out if you are a fan.



Gas Monkey Bar N' Grill Logo
photo credit: gasmonkeybarngrill.com

Last Friday, we had the perfect Dallas fall weather - 79 degrees and sunny, with a breeze. We took full advantage and sat out on the patio. I say this frequently on this blog, but the atmosphere at Gas Monkey was really great. We got to enjoy a beautiful evening over some delicious beers. At about 9pm a cover band played, which was fun too. The bar area is huge, with 32 beers on tap and lots of seating - great for happy hour! I had a Franconia Wheat, which is one of my new favorite beers. It's refreshing, tasty, and locally brewed (support your local businesses!).

With all of that said, I do have to report that the food was just okay, and that the service was not great. I did like the appetizers - we tried the queso, salsa, and guacamole. I liked all three. The salsa and the queso both had a smokey flavor, which was a little different than your typical dish.

Gas Monkey Chips and Salsa
I prefer a smokey salsa to a spicy one

I tried the Gas Monkey burger and Ryan had the rib platter with green beans and mac&cheese. My burger was fine. It was a little dry. Nothing to get excited over, especially when you've eaten at Hopdoddy's. I had a taste of Ryan's dinner, and it was much better than mine, but still didn't stack up against places like Smoke. I did like the mac&cheese a lot - I mean come on, it has truffle oil in it!

Gas Monkey Burger


We did have a huge problem getting our checks. There was some kind of mix up with the next table over and it took like an hour to get it worked out. I wasn't too upset for two reasons: 1. This place is pretty new, and I think they are still working out the kinks. 2. It was nice outside and there was free live music to entertain us while we waited. Had reason 2 not been a factor, I would have been much more annoyed.

We had our first MoFF celebrity sighting this week (or at least we think we did). Robert Patrick, aka the T-1000 from Terminator 2 was spotted on the patio. We had a lengthy discussion about if it was really him or a look alike. I going to go ahead and assume we saw a celeb - much more fun that way.

My overall verdict about this spot is that it's great for happy hour on a nice day. You have a great patio, nice bar, and good appetizers. For dinner, maybe not so much.


Gas Monkey Bar N' Grill on Urbanspoon