Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Kreuz Market - Lockhart, TX

When you stop to eat on a road trip you usually end up at McDonald's, Whataburger, etc. On our recent trip to San Antonio, we decided to stop in Lockhart,"The Barbecue Capital of Texas." It was pretty much on the way from Dallas, and we couldn't miss an opportunity to try some great food (hello, it was Meal of Food Friday).

We ended up at Kreuz Market. It was founded in 1900 as a meat market and grocery store and has evolved as a great BBQ restaurant with one usual rule - NO SAUCE. It was a cool place. You walk up to the meat counter, where you can see and smell the food cooking. They take your order right out of the smoker and measure it out for you. Then you go to a separate line to pick out your sides and drinks.

Kreuz Market, Lockhart TX
photo credit: www.roadfood.com
We shared the brisket, ham, and beef ribs, with mac and cheese and German potatoes on the side.

Ham, ribs, potatoes, mac & cheese, and bread. A classic BBQ meal
The food stood up to the Lockhart hype. It was all ready good! I was particularly impressed with the ham. I don't usually go for BBQ ham, but I loved Kreuz's. I have to admit that the no sauce thing was weird for me. Despite how flavorful and juicy the meat was, I really misses sauce. That being said, this was definitely worth a detour! 

We had a few good meals on our trip to San Antonio as well. My two favorites were the giant cinnamon role from Lulu's Bakery, and brunch at Liberty Bar.

Lulu's bakery cinnamon role
As seen on Man Vs. Food
Delicious omelet with potatoes and toast. The toast was soo good (random, I know)
We had a fun weekend away. I'm looking forward to visiting San Antonio and Lockhart again some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment