Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Avila's

This week for Meal of Food Friday, we ventured to Avila's Restaurant near downtown Dallas. By a narrow margin, Avila's beat out Cozymel's (which I voted for) and Jojo Eating House. Avila's is near where my husband works, so we decided to save gas and meet at the restaurant rather than riding together. No problem, right? Well, i'm not known for my keen sense of direction. I let my google maps app guide me and I got a little lost. I ended up about a block down from where I was supposed to be outside of an extremely sketchy restaurant with bars on the windows. I get out, go to the door and in a space of 5 seconds, I opened the front door, peeked inside, closed the door and was back in my car. I called a friend who IS known for his keen sense of direction, and he was able to help me get back on track. Just so you all know, the Avila's is a converted house and this is what the sign looks like:
Do NOT enter a building with bars on the windows on the next block down.
 Lucky, things improved from there. We had queso and (of course) chips and salsa to start. I wasn't into the salsa - it was way to spicy for me. I had a margarita, which was tasty, and brisket tacos for dinner. They were good, but not the best that I've had. I asked for sour cream on the side, and it came with pico de gallo mixed in. It wasn't bad, just not what I expected. I neglected to take any pictures. Sorry!

Here's a picture of my puppy instead - isn't she precious?!?
Overall, it was good. If it was in my neighborhood and I could get there easily, I'd go back. I probably won't just because it was a bit of a drive from home and I am a little freaked out by the sketchy place I originally walked into instead.

 Avila's Mexican Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment