Monday, April 22, 2013

Casa Vieja

This week we made a return visit to a Colombian restaurant in Carrollton called Casa Vieja. We normally avoid repeats, but the first trip to Casa Vieja was over a year ago and only a few people went. I didn't mind another trip because the food is really authentic and delicious! The menu (and website) are mostly in Spanish, but don't let that scare you off - the staff is very friendly and eager to help you understand. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but don't let that scare you either. It's perfectly nice on the inside.

Casa Vieja Logo
photo credit: http://mywebsitepronto.com/clients/casavieja/
If you are not familiar with Colombian cuisine, it uses a lot of seasoned meats, potatoes, plantains, etc. In my experience, it is similar to food from Cuba or other Latin American countries. I tend to like it because it is not spicy.

We started our the meal with handmade flavored margaritas. I tried the mango, and it was really good! It was really sweet so I didn't finish it all, but I would recommend it!

Casa Vieja Mango Margarita
Reminded me of our honeymoon to the Dominican Republic!
We had the empanadas on our last trip and I was excited to have them again. Our waiter let us know that they are a Casa Vieja fan favorite. As you can (sort of) see in the picture, they are corn dough pastries filled with brisket and potatoes.Yum!

Casa Vieja Empanadas
You can't go wrong with brisket.

I had the chicken and beef kabobs with rice, beans, avocado, plantain, and a corn cake. The rice was particularly good, and the meats were juicy and flavorful.

Casa Vieja Meal

I love this place because you can tell that the food (and staff) are very authentic. Eating Colombian food was a nice change from our normal routine of burger, pizza, and tex-mex, and I would very much recommend Casa Vieja!

Casa Vieja on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment